Our increasingly busy lives and the current state of our country with the constant challenges we face daily in Nigeria cause our minds a lot of stress and a lot of pressure on our body and health.
Understanding that every day we are faced with the challenges of trying to live a better life, Wevvo held a 2 hour session titled ” Managing stress in changing times” on the 30th of July, 2022. Mr ThankGod Ocheho a trained child and adolescent psychologist was our speaker for this session.
We discussed practical ways on how to handle stress in our daily lives especially as everything seems to be changing around us. The session started with some personal evaluation questions which are;
- Do you often miss break from work or business during the day?
- Do you miss out on quality time with your family and friends because of pressure of work or business?
- Do you work late hours at office every day and take your work or business home as well?
- Do you think work or business is having a negative effect on your personal life?
- Do you often think that you do not get enough time for yourself?
- Do you feel anxious or upset because of what is happening at work , business or family?
- Do you feel tired or depressed because of work, business or family?
- Do you often loose your temper at work or home? ( please take time and answer these personal questions and try to rate your well-being).
- We exist in multiple domains throughout our lives.
- We might be a professional, a parent, a single mum, a sports person, a community member, a friend, a child.
- These roles and responsibilities differ, our ability to manage these demands with little or no conflict is known as STRESS MANAGEMENT.
What is Stress? ( Define in your own terms).
- List the various roles you perform as an individual. e.g Parent, professional,etc.
- Draw a circle and allocate the time in percentage that you spend for each of the role you are involved in.
The 4 Pillars of our lives.
- Work – Potential.
- Family – Peace.
- Health – Work.
- Society – Impact.
3 Psychological needs of every human.
To wrap up the session, the speaker gave an example of the human body having similar features like a car, you are allowed to take a break when your body is giving you signs of being tired.
The Car – The Body.
The Brake – Self Care.
The Engine – Mind.
”Taking care of yourself is not selfish. You cannot serve from an empty vessel” – Eleanor Brown.